Families of 9/11 victims are requesting that Mayor Eric Adams of New York City revoke his approval of a Saudi-funded golf event that is rumored to be taking place in October at a Donald Trump-owned course in the city.
Families of 9/11 victims have petitioned the mayor of New York City to revoke approval of a Saudi-funded golf event that will allegedly take place
According to the event’s official website, the Aramco Team Series, the women’s golf tournament in question will be in New York from October 13 to 15. The tournament’s location in New York is not specified on the website, but according to The Washington Post and The New York Times, who cited city officials, it will be hosted at Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point in the Bronx.
Unless his office retracts its approval of the Saudi-funded Aramco Golf Series coming to New York City in October at the Trump Links (Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point) course, 9/11 Justice is requesting that New York City Mayor Adams avoid Ground Zero and any other 9/11 memorials and activities.
In a statement on Friday, 9/11 families’ spokesman Brett Eagleson stated. The Trump Organization and the Aramco Team Series have been contacted by CNN for comment. The proposal comes in response to media and advocacy organizations calling for the cancellation of sponsorship for LIV Golf competitions in light of alleged human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia and the 2018 murder of Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi.
Additionally, it occurs just a few weeks before the 21st anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, in which Washington has long disputed claims of Saudi government culpability. The state-owned oil firm of Saudi Arabia, Aramco, which also funds the LIV Golf tournament, sponsors the Aramco Team Series, a golf tournament series.
“I just think that the entire 9/11 community has had it,” said Eagleson, whose father Bruce was murdered in the attack on the World Trade Center, to CNN on Saturday. “This news is breaking less than two weeks before 9/11 on the heels of the LIV tournament in Bedminster.”
It is tone-deaf, obnoxious, and in your face. Trump has benefited from his professional ties with the golf tour, especially when PGA of America officials pulled the 2022 PGA Championship from Trump’s Bedminster course after the January 6, 2021 tournament.
Trump has dismissed criticism of LIV Golf. a coup at the US Capitol. He expressed approval for how the golf tour has enhanced the status of the kingdom in a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal and called it “a terrific thing for Saudi Arabia.” While we disagree with the beliefs of the Trump Organization, we cannot legally prevent their application, according to Fabien Levy, press secretary for Adams.
Officials from New York City added that the tournament’s deal was made under the tenure of former Mayor Bill de Blasio and that the present government is not permitted to change it. The city is legally required to abide by the terms of the Trump Ferry license agreement and cannot unreasonably withhold approval of this tournament, according to Nick Paolucci of the NYC Law Department, who spoke to CNN on Friday.
“As the decision in the previous administration’s court case displayed,” Paolucci said. The city is “obligated to comply with the express terms of the contract it has entered into,” according to Michael Cardozo, a former New York City Corporation Counsel and current partner at Proskauer, and even though it does not want the golf tournament to be held, it does not give it “the right to prevent the Trump Organization from allowing the tournament to be held.”
The Saudi-sponsored LIV Golf Invitational Series tournament was hosted at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey, last month. Eagleson, who asked officials to call off the event, said he is not advocating that the city violate any contracts, but rather that it adopt a firmer stance.
Eagleson stated, “I believe that the mayor should take into consideration meeting with some members of the 9/11 community,” adding that a meeting with the community would demonstrate his willingness to collaborate with them to find a solution. In Washington, there has long been debate concerning the claims of Saudi government involvement in the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Although the Saudi government has denied any involvement in the attacks, 15 of the 19 al Qaeda militants who hijacked four planes were Saudi citizens. In 2004, the 9/11 Commission, which Congress had established, declared that it had uncovered “no evidence that the Saudi government as a whole or senior Saudi officials personally sponsored” al Qaeda.
The families of the deceased have pushed for more information, and the FBI last year made a report about its investigation into the alleged logistical support that a Saudi consular official and a suspected Saudi intelligence agent in Los Angeles gave to at least two hijackers available for public consumption.
You can click on the links below to own our products
Connect us at:
Homepage: SWAGTEESHIRT Store
at a Donald Trump golf course